Monday, February 15, 2010

Week Two






Wow....what a week it has been. I have loved being back in Lusaka Zambia after 7 years. So many things have changed. There are more cars on the road (I am told that Zambia now imports Japanese cars which are cheaper and more affordable), some roads have gotten better, and others have gotten worse, many new buildings have popped up, there is now a cinema and there are more muzungus around (muzungus = white foreigners – apparently many are white Zimbabwean’s that have settled in Zambia due to the problems in Zim). Other changes that have occurred are friends that have gotten married and had a few kids. This has made me feel really old.

All of my time here has been spent catching up with friends, and being Aunty Lisa to many kids. It has been great that after 7 years I have been able to catch up on where I left off. Some people I had lost contact with so I have been able to re-establish contact with them again.

It has been great eating the food that I have missed here. I also got to try something new yesterday, chicken gizzards. My friend laughed at me when I said I didn’t think I would like chicken gizzards and that I hadn’t eaten them before. For Zambian’s it is like saying I don’t like chocolate. My friend’s husband said that if I didn’t eat them I wouldn’t get any ice-cream for dessert, so I gave it a go. It wasn’t too bad, but I wouldn’t be craving it again anytime soon. It was worth eating them just to have the ice-cream though.
Tomorrow (Tuesday), I leave for Cape Town in South Africa. I am sad to leave Lusaka but every time I have left here I have felt that I will be back, and this time feels no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment